Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hesitant to take a compliment

What a fool I can be. You'd think by the age of 22 I would know how to accept a simple compliment, but I'm realizing I don't know how to do it.
         Why is it that I love to feel good? Or why is that I love the feeling of being loved, but don't know how to accept a compliment? Fool, just say thank you.
          I have not been good about accepting compliments. I usually counter with an excuse or an explanation of what I am being complimented on instead of saying those two powerful words.
          Thank you. See, that wasn't so hard. But maybe writing it, saying it to others for doing something nice or helpful is easier. I just can't seem to utter those words when it comes to my appearance or something I have produced.
           For example, yesterday, a co-worker complimented on my outfit: "you always look so cute." Then this fool responded, "I'm freezing." Why couldn't I say thank you? This isn't the first instance either.
           Or what about the times when I finish a project at work and I'm told that I've done a good job? Do I say thank you? Not usually.
           I think that the reason I can't fully love another yet is because I don't fully love myself. And part of loving myself would include accepting compliments from others. By accepting compliments, and saying thank you, I would be helping my self learn to love me.
           Next time I am given a compliment, I will say thank you because saying thank you will help me to accept a positive part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment