Thursday, July 22, 2010

Smile from a stranger

Last night, I went into the city to have dinner with a friend. We ate at the most fabulous restaurant called Flex. If you like seafood, mussels specifically, go!
            When dessert time came, I didn't think I had room in me, but there's nothing like key lime pie in the summertime... I can die happy now. Food completes me sometimes. And as far as my meal last night is concerned, my life is complete.
             On the train ride into the city, I finished one of the several books I'm reading, God Never Blinks. One of the many concepts that I took away from it was that I have everything I need. I really do.
             So when a little pleasure comes along, like a delicious meal, it puts my life into perspective again. I really have everything I need, so I'm grateful that I get to taste more than that.
            The train ride home left me content. I sat down in a three-seat row, threw my feet up on the seat, and prepared to nap. I didn't nap. I smiled. I felt truly happy, and then a handsome guy sat down.
             We didn't chat or have small talk or get to know each other. We each listened to our iPods, while making sideways glances at each other. He'd smile, then I'd smile and vice versa. He got off the train about three stops before my stop. And as he got up, he didn't leave his number, but he did give me a true smile.
              As I watched him walk across the platform, I grinned through the window at him, and he grinned back at me. Right at that moment, I was content with the fact that we were strangers and may never see each other again. But a true smile from a stranger is better than a fake smile from someone you thought was a friend.

4 comments:

  1. This is so true! Countless times this has happened and you're right, I could die happy. There still are good people in the world who are nice enough to give a genuine smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect last sentence. Your story reminds me of a commercial or something. I love getting smiles, especially from hot guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS!

    Good food, full belly and a cute strangers smile! What a great night :)

    Come get a full belly and enjoy the accents and hotties with me in New Zealand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story!! It sounds like a movie plot

    ReplyDelete