Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My platform friend

I know I've mentioned this before, but I love simple things. Especially simple things that make me smile. I have officially surpassed the two month mark of commuting on the train to work every morning, but it wasn't very long after I began this commute that I made a platform friend.
          Let me preface that my platform (of the train station) friend is much older, and he probably has grandchildren my age. It began as just a simple "good morning beautiful" or "good morning young lady." I would smile, say good morning, but I've noticed that my smile would linger. How nice it is to have a stranger tell you that look beautiful when it's not even 7:30 AM.
           The more important part is that it's very rare to have a stranger say hello or even smile at you anymore. And so, I appreciate my platform friend. Last week, we finally introduced ourselves. He wanted to know my name so that it made our greeting more personal. I agree with this.
           Now, every morning, as I wait for my train to roll in, my platform friend says hello, and always requests I remove my sunglasses so he can see my eyes. Greetings from strangers, but now a friend, is a great way to start any day of my week, no matter what may lay ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Awe, that's super cute! My Mom always said "Smiles and kind words are contagious!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! I try to smile at strangers, I'm shy though so I don't strike up a conversation very often!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this one? I love this. I have a "platform friend" too. Except I like to call him my "car detail" friend. He is in his 80's and we bump into one another everytime I get my car detailed. I love him :)

    ReplyDelete