Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A vacation from life.

I woke up this morning thinking about how today is a new day, but as the morning progressed, I thought, how about a vacation from life? Wouldn't that be a fabulous concept? Just to be able to press pause on everything going on in your world? Pause all the things you love, hate, struggle with, miss, need, and want.
          Instead, I won't press pause. I'll keep going, but I want to keep going because I get to. I'm reading yet another book, which has opened my eyes in ways that I didn't think would be possible for me again. The book is called God Never Blinks, written by Regina Brett.
          In one of her chapters, Brett writes about "get to." Before fully reading the chapter, my immediate thought was, get to where? For such a long period of time, I would dwell on the past or think about speeding ahead. I thought get to meant get to where you're going.
         But that's not what she was talking about. Get to is a variation on the grateful game. Instead of saying I am grateful for my coffee, I would say I get to drink my coffee. Or I am grateful that I'm physically healthy enough to take spin classes, instead I get to take spin class because I'm physically healthy.
           Today, I get to work at a job I love. I get to have dinner with a good friend after work. I get to enjoy an iced Starbucks coffee. I get to write. I get to enjoy being alive. I get to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment