Monday, June 14, 2010

Men play at love to get sex. Women play at sex to get love.

After asking the question what's the best advice anyone has given you about love, I received 4 great comments in response. I wanted to share my thoughts today on the first comment.

Men play at love to get sex. Women play at sex to get love.

When I first read this, I felt a pang in my heart because truth hurts. This is a reality. And when I reflect back on a lot of my experiences, I notice that this game of love and sex can be played both ways. 
          I'm struggling with writing this post today. Maybe it's because I don't fully agree with this comment, or maybe it's because I know that you don't always have to be the man to play at love to get sex. In the past, I have found that many young men have played a game of love to get sex. But there have been times when I've seen girls play the game too. 
          Why is it that there has to be any kind of playing at all? Love should not be a game, nor should sex. Love is supposed to be a fulfilling emotion, and sex should be a gratifying and pleasurable experience that is shared. Neither should be abused in a game. And yet, both men and women are guilty of playing these games all the time. Why do you think this is? 
           In the end, it is always one person who decides that they will play however they want to, whether it is for the love or the sex. On a rare occasion, both will choose not to play the game at all, and that's when something magical happens. 
           There's just a flawed logic that stems from insecurity that causes someone to think that if you sleep with him (or her), it means he/she will like you, maybe even love you. In reality, he/she may just be using you for the sex, and nothing else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment