Thursday, May 6, 2010

Everybody wins!

I woke up this morning feeling off. Then I realized that it's just another day closer to graduation. Last night on the phone with my mom, she asked if I was getting excited to graduate. No, the answer is no. I'm not happy about this, at all.
          What happened to the excitement I felt when I faxed my acceptance of my job offer over to my future job? It disappeared.
           Just like how tomorrow, Regis, my other half in the male form, will disappear from school. He's leaving campus early to do an internship at the Cannes Film Festival in France. As much as I wish he would stay, this opportunity is too great for him to pass up. (He will be blogging from France for anyone who wants to read about his updates.)
            But with him leaving, I feel like my whole world is crumbling. As I reflect on my time here, I think about how important friends are as a support system and as someone who loves you unconditionally.
            Regis and Kath. That was me and my best guy friend for the past 4 years. And this place, up on the hill, is no longer going to be a place we call home. Instead, my home will be Connecticut, and Regis will head back to Pennsylvania.
             The love between the two of us is a different kind of love. This is the kind of unconditional and great friend love of someone who will help pick you up off the floor when you can't stop crying. Or the kind where you can spend hours writing Post-It notes all over an apartment for no reason. Or the kind where you can make up silly drinking games where everybody wins!
            I will miss Regis, but what keeps me sane is that I know we will be best friends forever. I mean, who else turns a garbage bag into a poncho in down pouring rain just so that you can go dance at the bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment