Sunday, April 25, 2010

Girls don't like flowers; they remind them of bees.

Time for a trip down memory lane. I was a meek, insecure and lost Fool. It was first semester freshman year in college, and there was a tall, lanky but handsome boy who worked in the dining hall of my dorm.
         I'm not sure where my slippers came from, but they were the most ridiculous blue, fuzzy slippers you may have ever seen. After almost half a semester of making flirty eye contact, D.H.B. (Dining Hall Boy) approached me and commented on my slippers. One of my favorite nicknames was born: Slippers.
         One night, we were laying on his couch watching That 70's Show. The boys on the show were discussing what to get for a girl to try to impress her. Someone suggested flowers, and Ashton Kutcher's character said, "Girls don't like flowers; they remind them of bees." I then commented that girls do like flowers, and they don't remind us of bees.
          The following night, D.H.B. invited me over. I walked to his bedroom and found a note hanging on his door with Slippers scribbled on the front. I opened it, and from what I can remember, it said: "I got you these because they don't remind girls of bees."
           When I opened the door, waiting on his desk was a bouquet of wild flowers for me. D.H.B. was the first boy to ever buy me flowers. Even though, we were only together for less than a month, that memory will be forever imprinted in my mind.
            Boys, men, or interests, buy a girl flowers! Even if she is allergic to them (I'm not though), flowers are a simple, but grand gesture to remind a girl that you are thinking of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment