Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What do I want?

I can sit here and preach that I don't want a relationship, but I wouldn't be honest if I kept saying that. Maybe you all figured this out, but after letting my mind wander in class, a light bulb went off in my head.
          I do want a relationship, but not just any kind of relationship. I'm in the mode where I want to better understand who I am and discover who I want to be. My last serious relationship, which was 2 years ago, helped me realize a lot about myself. Do you want to know why?
          He brought out the best in me. He helped me to see that I want to write great novels and children's books and believe in myself enough to do that. He helped me realize that I am comfortable in my body because we'd spend hours dancing and swimming in the pool during the summer, and not a single moment was preoccupied with how I looked in a bikini. And most importantly, he loved me for exactly who I was and didn't expect me to change for him.
          I do want a relationship, but I want one with someone who can give me all of the above and more. What I want is to be with someone who helps me to grow and gives me the freedom to learn about who I am, all while we enjoy each other's company. Maybe this seems somewhat strange because we are at such a large transition in our lives (with graduation upon us), but I know that if I'm able to articulate what I want, then I'm taking the right step towards finding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment