Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An encounter with Monopoly Boy

Remember how I posted earlier today about how physical attraction can only play so much of a role in total attraction? Today, the perfect example presented himself to me in Grand Central Terminal: Monopoly Boy.
         This name has been long standing in my family for him, so I find that it is only appropriate to continue its use.
          On my way home from New York City, Monopoly Boy approached me, reached out to give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. My first thought: why is he this terribly handsome? Then a flicker of hope filled my mind.
           Maybe this encounter was a sign that we were supposed to try again. Maybe he had grown up from the immature, unsought advice giving boy. He invited me to join him while we waited for the same train back to Connecticut, and I accepted this invitation with a smile.
            Smack! No, he didn't hit me. That was the sound of why he isn't right for me. He asked me about something that I had probably discussed with him too many times to count. Why is it that he can be this gorgeous, but never seem to remember a single thing I tell him about my life?
             And why did he feel the need to advise me on my interview that I knew I was prepared for? And, more importantly, why did he dole out this advice without my even asking? Because he's Monopoly Boy.
             Sometimes we meet guys who we think would be perfect, but in reality, they aren't. In the past, I may have ignored these irritating traits of his because he seems to be the whole package: handsome, smart, funny, and driven. But now, I appreciate my ability to know what I do and don't look for in an interest.
             And I don't want someone who feigns interest in me, nor finds that he knows best in giving advice, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment